Do you recommend having a virtual background on your online course?

Hey ya’ll…question…if you are filming online courses, I’m interested to hear your take on virtual backgrounds. I’m experimenting and so far not loving them, but wondered what the general take it. Thanks!

Depends on your current background and your intent with your course. Is the tone of your course lighthearted, fun, do you want to come off as relatable to your students? In that case, your current background is more than enough. However, if you do want to create something that looks more professional, virtual backgrounds with a greenscreen might be the way to go.

I think I would try your latter suggestion, thank you @ananya !

Check out Tamara Glick’s course on Terrain, it’s all about how to show up more professionally on camera! Here’s a link: https://www.knowtheterrain.io/class-details/wfh-space-masterclass

She strongly advises against virtual backgrounds!

I’ve only seen them used in things like zoom calls and I wasn’t impressed. People’s heads would get cut out and it was just irritating to watch as a viewer. I would honestly rather see a plain white sheet in a background, than a virtual one ! :woman_shrugging:

It was a nice feature for online meetings when everyone was working at home and couldn’t control their environments like they could in the workplace. Like every other comment, I agree that there is a time and place for them, a paid prerecorded video is not the place for it. Even if it is a live webinar, organise it at a time that you can be in a quiet space with a nice/clear background.

I wouldn’t suggest you use them. It is better to have a regular background when you move.

There are so much input here! Thank you to your advice everyone! :grinning: